contact: 044 27264301,
1. To enable, encourage, empower, and enrich people around meto realise their true potential for greater good.
2. To catalyse, explore, enable, and realise application of Information and Communication Technology to Process automation, Electronic Commerce, Law Enforcement and Judiciary, and Personalised Drug (Discovery and delivery) for Cancer.
3. To seamlessly integrate Global Higher Technical Education System, promote Inter-disciplinary research, and enhance the creativity of future generation.
4. To use Information and Communication Technology to create a ecosystem for: Higher education administration, Content creation, Content management, Content delivery, and Evaluation systems.
5. To promote innovative research and entrepreneurial skills, leading to Intellectual Property creation, besides achieving business goals and academic satisfaction.
6. To understand the Science behind Ayurveda and other Indian systems of medicine, to promote the understanding of the utility of ancient literature in all areas bringing out its relevance to modern context.
1. As the Chairman, In House Team in Government of TamilNadu providing Strategic and Technological directions in their endeavour to transform in to a Digital Tamil Nadu.
2. Designed an Integrated Digital Infrastructure for the State ofTamil Nadu.
3. As the Chairman of the Academic Committee of the National Program called Sir Visveswaraya PhD Fellowship, oversee the award and quality control of ~1000 PhDs across 140institutions in India. In addition to PhDs, oversee the performance of ~200 Young Faculty Research Fellows in these institutions.
4. As the Scientific Secretary to Government of India, played a key role in defining the Cyber Security Architecture for India.Also, travelled to USA, Europe, and Australia as a part of Joint Commissions between India and those countries. Awarded key projects in networking area related to Secure Routing and Silicon-Photonic Chip design. Administered the national effortin understanding the Science behind Ayurveda.
5. As the Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIITDM in Jabalpur, helped the institute grow from its infancy to be a significant player nationally.
6. As a member of the Presidential Committee played the role of a Jury in deciding the Institution of Excellence for presenting the Presidential Award every year.
7. Designed India’s National Knowledge Network (NKN) as a Critical Information Infrastructure and oversaw its implementation. As the Chairman of the Technical Advisory Committee enabled international interconnections to USA, Europe, and Singapore. Today NKN has 1716 institutions. interconnected at high speed and low latency and connects to all major Research and Education Networks around the world.
8. As the Founder Dean (Planning), established the office of the Dean and handled portfolios Planning, Finance, Purchase, and Estate. Initiated the formation of IITM Research Park.
9. As a faculty in IIT Madras for nearly 35 years, handled a range of subjects in Computer Science and Engineering. Set up India’s first Network Systems Laboratory in IIT Madras. Handled several research projects from various agencies in Government of India. Introduced courses such as Cryptography and Network Security and Electronic Commerce in late 90sitself. Graduated many students and authored ~150 research papers and books.
Widely travelled across the world; notably many times to USA,Europe, UK, and Australia. Other countries include Finland,Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia (now divided as Czech andSlovakia), Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, SouthAfrica, Malaysia, Singapore, and Russia.
Was a Visiting Professor in University of Maryland, College Park, USA, University of California, Riverside, USA, University of Buffalo, NY, USA, University of Vienna, Austria,and University of Aachen, Germany.
As a Member of Ministerial delegation, visited Bulgaria in2004.
Academic lecture tour visits to University of Cambridge, UK, University of Paris V, France, EFPL, Lausanne, Switzerland, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Universities ofNew South Wales and Melbourne, Australia.
Attended several international conferences and meetings in several parts of the world to present paper or to participate in the IFIP TC6 meetings as the Indian Representative. Initiatedthe Indo-Australian collaboration in Cyber Security.
In India, launched the first Collaborative multi- institution research project called Smart and Secure Environment in 2007.Served on several faculty selection committees, accreditation committees, and evaluation committees. Handled research projects worth at least 25 Crores. Been a consultant to TCS,IOB, Future Software (sold to Hughs Communications), Zennetworks, to name a few. Lectured on behalf of United Nations Development Program across India on Networking in nineties. Founder of Ernet, Designer of Sankhya Vahini, National Knowledge Network Phase I, and NKN Phase II. Served on theRBI task Force on Payment Systems in 1999.
Chief Editor of CSI Transactions on ICT, an international journal published by Springer.
- Conferred Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Andhra University, 2014. Delivered the Convocation address.
- Conferred Techno visionary Leadership Award, Indian Electronics and Semiconductors Association, 2013.
- Conferred Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Uttarakhand Technical University, 2011. Delivered the Convocation address.
- Delivered Srinivasan Ramanujan Memorial Lecture at Anna University, Chennai in 2009.
- Outstanding Alumnus award, MIT Alumni Association, Anna University, Madras in 2007.
- Elected Fellow of Computer Society of India in 2000.
- Elected Governor of International Council for Computer Communication, USA in 2000.
- Recipient of Silver Core Award of International Federation for Information Processing, IFIP, Geneva in 1996.
- Elected Fellow of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers Society in 1994.
- B.Sc. Physics, 1971 ,A M Jain College, University of Madras
- D.M.I.T Electronics ,1974, Madras Institute of Technology (Now merged with AnnaUniversity) Chromepet Campus Chennai
- M.E. Automation ,1976, School of Automation Indian Institute of Science , Bangalore
- Ph. D. Computer Science, 1986 ,Indian Institute of Technology ,Madras ,Chennai
- D.Sc. Honoris Causa ,2011 Uttarakhand Technical University ,Uttarakhand
- D. Sc. Honoris Causa 2014 Andhra University Visakhapatnam Andhra Pradesh
- Certificate from Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan in Sanskrit Bhasha Kovida
- 10 Years Part-Time Vedaadyayanam, Karunananda Mandali West Mambalam